Emerald Lake is located on the traditional lands of Ĩyãħé Nakón mąkóce (Stoney), Očhéthi Šakówiŋ, Michif Piyii (Métis), and Cree. Treaty 6 Territory.
Emerald Lake was formerly known as Ruxee Lake and was renamed Emerald for its clean, beautiful, spring fed water.
In the 1920's, the RM #465 applied to the Department of Natural Tourism for the lease on Emerald Lake. In the 1930's, this lease was turned over to the Avebury Community Club. By as early as 1932, the club noted a substantial increase in the use of the resort. They recorded 30 to 40 campers spending the entire summer. In the 1950's the lease for Emerald Lake Resort was turned over to the Leask Branch of the Canadian Legion.
In 1967 the Leask Legion turned the lease over to President Hector Duncan and Secretary C.E. Harris and Emerald Lake became a Regional Park.